In order to help you feel more confident and well-prepared before an interview about software testing, VNEXT Global provides a series of common software testing interview questions for tester or QA positions. These questions are collected after consulting with our experienced, professional manual and automation testers. Before reading this section, please read 45 Questions For Software Testing Interview With Sample Answers (Part 1) and 45 Software Testing Interview Questions With Sample Answers (Part 2).
45 Common Interview Questions On Software Testing (Part 3)
31. What is the biggest difference between debugging and testing?
Testing aims to illustrate failures that are caused by defects in the software. Debugging includes finding, analyzing, and fixing such defects.
32. What are differences among errors, defects and failures?
- A person can make an error, understood as a mistake, in software development.
- An error that leads to the introduction of a defect (fault or bug).
- If code containing a defect is executed, this may cause a failure.
33. What is a test process consists of?
A test process includes 7 main parts:
- Test planning
- Test monitoring and control
- Test analysis
- Test design
- Test implementation
- Test execution
- Test completion
34. What is the biggest difference between test analysis and test design?
Test analysis answers the question “what to test?”. Test design answers the question “how to test?”.
35. List some objects of integration testing.
36. Name some objects of integration testing.
- Hardware/ software systems
- Operating systems
- System under test (SUT)
- System configuration
- Configuration data
37. How many major types of acceptance testing?
There are 4 main types of acceptance testing
- User acceptance testing: to check if the software product meets the needs and fulfill requirements of clients.
- Operational acceptance testing: to check if the operators or system administrators can keep the system working properly in the operational, or production environment.
- Regulatory acceptance testing: to check if the software product complies with government, legal, and/ or safety regulations.
- Alpha and beta testing: to check if users can use the system under normal conditions as well as in the operational environments.
38. What are different types of review in the work product review process?
Basically, there are 4 main types of review:
- Informal review: to detect potential defects
- Walkthrough: to find defects, improve the software, consider better alternatives
- Technical review: to gain consensus and detect potential defects
- Inspection: to detect potential defects, evaluate quality and preventing future similar defects through author learning and root cause analysis
39. Take examples of success factors for reviews.
To me and according to my experience, I appreciate these points:
- Objectives are clear
- Team members have adequate time and data to prepare
- Reviews are scheduled with adequate agenda and notice
- Reviews are integrated in the quality policies of the company, or test policies.
40. Based on which criteria can you choose test techniques?
Here are some factors I often use when considering test techniques:
- The complexity of component and system
- Regulatory standards
- Requirements of client and contract
- Available tools
- Time and budget available
- The types of defect in the component or system
41. List some characteristics of white-box testing
- Test basis includes code, software architecture, detailed design, or any other source of information regarding the structure of the software.
- Coverage is measured based on items that are tested within a selected structure and the technique applied.
42. What are the characteristics of black-box testing?
- Test basis includes software requirements, specifications, use cases, and user stories.
- Test cases help to detect gaps between the requirements and the implementation of the requirements.
- Coverage is measured via the items tested and the technique applied.
43. What is equivalence partitioning?
Equivalence partitioning divides data into partitions, and all the members of a given partition are expected to be processed in the same way. Both valid and invalid values have equivalence partitions.
44. Name some factors that may influence the test effort
- Characteristics of product
- Characteristics of development process
- Characteristics of human
- Test results
45. Why do you need configuration management?
Because configuration management helps to establish and maintain the integrity of the component and system, the testware, and their connection to each other through the software development life cycle.
This part is the end of the series “45 Common Questions For Software Testing Interview”. Hopefully, this series provided by the QA team of VNEXT Global will help you to have better confidence in each interview. And don’t forget to read and save other articles in the series for more common interview questions on software testing with sample answers from experienced testers.
- 45 Questions For Software Testing Interview With Sample Answers (Part 1)
- 45 Software Testing Interview Questions With Sample Answers (Part 2)
If you are looking for a trusted IT partner, VNEXT Global is the ideal choice. With 14+ years of experience, we surely can help you to optimize your business digitalization within a small budget and short time. Currently, we have 400+ IT consultants and developers in Mobile App, Web App, System Development, Blockchain Development and Testing Services. We have provided solutions to 600+ projects in several industries for clients worldwide. We are willing to become a companion on your way to success. Please tell us when is convenient for you to have an online meeting to discuss this further. Have a nice day!