As the number of cyber attacks continues to rise, the demand for cybersecurity professionals is also increasing. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, on average, there will be around 19,500 opportunities for information security analysts per year during the next decade, which means there is a tremendous opportunity for individuals to pursue a career in cybersecurity.
Learning cybersecurity is not only crucial for those pursuing a career in the field but also for individuals who want to protect themselves and their personal information. In this blog, we will provide a step-by-step guide on how to learn cybersecurity, including the benefits of learning cybersecurity, why you should learn cybersecurity, steps to learning cybersecurity, and resources for learning cybersecurity.
A Step By Step Guide On How To Learn Cybersecurity
1. What are The Benefits of Learning the Fundamentals of Cybersecurity
It’s essential to understand what you might gain from learning cybersecurity if you want to get into this industry right? Here are 4 major benefits that you should not overlook!
- Improved job opportunities: As mentioned earlier, the demand for cybersecurity professionals is increasing, and there is a shortage of qualified cybersecurity experts. By learning cybersecurity, you can improve your job prospects and increase your earning potential. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, information security analysts earned a median annual wage of $103,590 in May 2020, which is significantly higher than the median annual wage for all occupations.
- Personal protection: Cybersecurity is not only important for businesses and governments but also for individuals. By learning cybersecurity, you can protect your personal information from cyber threats such as identity theft, phishing, and malware attacks. For instance, by learning how to identify phishing emails and how to protect personal information online, individuals can reduce their risk of falling victim to cyber-attacks. With cybercrime increasing every day, it is important for individuals to take cybersecurity seriously and take proactive steps to protect themselves.
- Business protection: Cybersecurity is essential for businesses of all sizes, and the cost of cyber attacks can be significant. Cyber attacks can be costly, and according to the 2020 Cost of a Data Breach Report by IBM, the average cost of a data breach is $3.86 million. By learning cybersecurity, you can help protect your business from cyber threats and avoid the costs associated with cyber attacks. For example, cybersecurity training can help businesses identify potential vulnerabilities in their systems, develop effective security policies and protocols, and ensure that employees are aware of and adhere to these policies.
- Career growth: Cybersecurity is a constantly evolving field, and by learning cybersecurity, you can stay up-to-date with the latest trends, technologies, and techniques. This can help you grow your career and take on new challenges. For example, cybersecurity professionals may specialize in areas such as network security, application security, or cloud security, and by developing expertise in these areas, they can advance their careers and take on leadership roles within their organizations.
2. Why You Should Learn Cybersecurity?
A. Cybersecurity is essential for personal and professional safety
Cyber threats such as hacking, phishing, and malware attacks are becoming more sophisticated and frequent. According to Cybersecurity Ventures, cybercrime will cost the world $10.5 trillion annually by 2025, up from $3 trillion in 2015. This shows that cyber threats are a significant risk to personal and professional safety. By learning cybersecurity, you can protect yourself, your business, and your sensitive data from increasing cyber threats.
B. Cybersecurity is constantly evolving and improving
Professionals in this field must always be learning new things in order to keep one step ahead of ever-evolving cyber dangers. Because of this, cybersecurity is a complex and ever-evolving field that necessitates dedicated study and practice. One way to adapt to the ever-shifting work market is to acquire in-demand skills, such as those related to cybersecurity.
3. 4 Crucial Steps to Learning Cybersecurity
A. Start by gaining a basic understanding of the fundamentals of cybersecurity
The first step in learning cybersecurity is to gain a basic understanding of the fundamentals. This includes understanding the various types of cyber threats, the importance of cybersecurity, and the basic principles of cybersecurity. You can start by reading cybersecurity blogs and articles, watching cybersecurity videos, and taking online courses.
B. Develop a better understanding of the different types of cybersecurity
Once you have a basic understanding of cybersecurity, you can develop a better understanding of the different types of cybersecurity. This includes network security, application security, cloud security, and mobile security. Each type of cybersecurity has its unique challenges and requires specific skills and tools. You can learn more about these different types of cybersecurity by reading cybersecurity books, attending cybersecurity conferences, and taking online courses.
C. Learn the different tools and technologies used in cybersecurity
To be an effective cybersecurity professional, you need to have a good understanding of the tools and technologies used in cybersecurity. This includes firewalls, antivirus software, intrusion detection and prevention systems, and encryption technologies. There are numerous online courses and tutorials that can help you learn about these tools and technologies. It is also important to stay up-to-date with the latest cybersecurity tools and technologies, as they are constantly evolving.
D. Get hands-on experience in cybersecurity
Hands-on experience is essential in learning cybersecurity. This involves practicing what you have learned in a simulated environment or on real-world projects. You can gain hands-on experience by participating in cybersecurity competitions, building your own cybersecurity projects, or working on open-source cybersecurity projects. Hands-on experience not only helps you develop practical skills but also demonstrates your knowledge and expertise to potential employers.
5. What Are Resources for Learning Cybersecurity?
A. Online courses and tutorials
There are numerous online courses and tutorials available for learning cybersecurity. Some popular platforms include Coursera, Udemy, edX, and Cybrary. These courses cover a range of topics, from the basics of cybersecurity to advanced cybersecurity techniques. Online courses and tutorials are an excellent way to learn cybersecurity, as they provide flexibility and accessibility.
B. Cybersecurity books
There are also many excellent cybersecurity books that can help you learn about cybersecurity. Some popular books include "The Art of Deception" by Kevin Mitnick, "Hacking Exposed" by Stuart McClure, and "Network Security Bible" by Eric Cole. Cybersecurity books are a great resource for developing a deep understanding of cybersecurity principles and techniques.
C. Cyber security summits and events
Attending cyber security summits and events is an excellent way to stay up-to-date with the latest trends, technologies, and techniques in cybersecurity. Some popular cybersecurity conferences include Black Hat, DEF CON, and RSA Conference. These events bring together cybersecurity professionals from around the world to share knowledge, ideas, and experiences. Attending these events can provide you with valuable networking opportunities and insights into the latest cybersecurity developments.
To protect oneself online, both personally and professionally, cyber security awareness is a must. As a result, it is essential to always be using the most up-to-date methods, software, and hardware for online security. To become cyber-literate, one must first master the terminology and concepts central to the field, then study the many approaches to cybersecurity, become familiar with the various methods and techniques employed, and last, obtain practical experience in the field. Cybersecurity books, online tutorials, and conferences and events are just some of the many options for education in this field. Hopefully, after this step-by-step guide, you can ultimately understand the basis of how to learn cyber security.
If you are looking for a trusted IT partner, VNEXT Global is the ideal choice. With 14+ years of experience, we surely can help you to optimize your business digitalization within a small budget and short time. Currently, we have 400+ IT consultants and developers in Mobile App, Web App, System Development, Blockchain Development and Testing Services. We have provided solutions to 600+ projects in several industries for clients worldwide. We are willing to become a companion on your way to success. Please tell us when is convenient for you to have an online meeting to discuss this further. Have a nice day!