Have you ever wondered how data enters apps that you have downloaded to your mobile device? How do they get updated? How do data connect to your account on the desktop or web application?
Although end users only care about enjoying the app, engineers must also care about the development and operation of mobile apps. For example, the methods used to connect remote servers to mobile app, enhancing transferring data bidirectionally.
We are gaining significant opportunities for accessing information systems from a mobile device with the introduction of data transmission channels like WiFi 6 with maximum connection speeds of 600–9608 Mbps, and 4G mobile networks with transmission speeds of up to 100 Mbps.
Data rates will inevitably rise now that the new 5G standard has been introduced. It's also important to note that, compared to desktop, the proportion of mobile devices utilized to access information systems grows yearly. And as you would have anticipated, this indicates that desktop traffic has already been surpassed by mobile traffic.
So what are your options for connecting remote servers to mobile app? In fact, there are different ways to accomplish this. Depending on your business objectives, you can choose from the following possibilities.
4 methods to connect remote servers to mobile app
1. TCP/IP Direct Connection
To receive responses, the mobile application makes a direct connection to the server's database. Use SSH or another sort of encryption to ensure confidentiality. In this scenario, the mobile app connects to the server using TCP/IP sockets (or UDP if necessary).
- Direct connection using standard TCP/IP telnet/SSH;
- User verification via simple login/password;
- UI commands converted to server commands.
- Easy to use;
- Reasonable costs for developing the back-end of applications;
- No additional costs on maintaining additional hardware.
- Complicated scalability;
- Some disabled/ stopped TCP/IP ports cause the mobile app to stop working;
- Only one functionality for standard telnet/SSH protocol.
2. Web application with Responsive Design
Mobile apps can be constructed as web apps with responsive design. Engineers can use different frameworks like Bootstrap and Foundation.
- Using web services via specialized APIs;
- User verification via simple/secure login/password as on the desktop web app;
- UI commands converted to API requests.
- REST API;
- Easy client-side development;
- Ability to use external resources such as servers and databases connected with server side;
- No additional costs needed for maintaining hardware;
- The backend parts can be put on a cloud server or a dedicated server;
- Easily scalable with cloud technologies.
- A more complex development cycle;
- Web apps can be comparatively slow because of the HTML/JS user interface, for instance 2D and 3D graphics.
3. Cloud Integration
You may effortlessly connect your mobile application to distant servers using cloud integration. You can create scalable, dependable, and secure back-end components for every type of mobile app thanks to modern cloud platforms like Firebase or Amazon API Gateway. This solution will also be cost-effective for both mobile users and mobile developers.
- Connect to the cloud leveraging its services;
- User verification via simple/secure login/password;
- Easy scalability of APIs;
- API versioning;
- UI commands converted to cloud API commands.
- REST API;
- Easy client-side development;
- Ability to use external resources like servers and databases with cloud services;
- Access all of cloud services;
- Access to computers in the cloud depending on user permissions;
- Highly scalable;
- Extremely reliable and solid.
- Time-consuming to configure;
- Complicated to change cloud providers;
- Back-end developers must be competent, qualified.
A new method to develop APIs is offered by GraphQL. It can be contrasted and compared to other web service architectures, such as REST. You can define the project data's structure using GraphQL. Without the need to modify the API, the server will return the same structure, preventing the transfer of duplicate data.
- Users can send and receive new data without changing the API structure;
- GraphQL servers are available in over 10 programming languages.
- GraphQL supports reading and modifying data;
- Ability to subscribe to real-time changes in data update.
- Engineers must study relatively new technology;
- Decrease in the effectiveness of web caching of query results.
Hopefully, the information about connecting remote servers to mobile app by VNEXT Global is helpful for you! As reported by global top-class IT statistics and experts, the mobile industry is on the rise and promises to continue to grow. There are still many potentials for mobile application development, including storage and security fields.
If you are looking for a trusted IT partner, VNEXT Global is the ideal choice. With 14+ years of experience, we surely can help you to optimize your business digitalization within a small budget and short time. Currently, we have 400+ IT consultants and developers in Mobile App, Web App, System Development, Blockchain Development and Testing Services. We have provided solutions to 600+ projects in several industries for clients worldwide. We are willing to become a companion on your way to success. Please tell us when is convenient for you to have an online meeting to discuss this further. Have a nice day!